Who We Are
Incorporated in 1978, the Canadian Critical Care Society was led by a dedicated group with a vision of multidisciplinary care where teamwork was essential to understand and use the technology needed to care for the critically ill in this special environment called an intensive care unit.
This is a national specialty society, representing Adult and Paediatric Critical Care Medicine physicians in Canada. Today there are over 800 physicians who are listed as Critical Care Fellows of the RCPSC. Our membership includes not only physicians specifically trained in critical care medicine (including those who practice but also colleagues such as internists, anesthesiologists, physiotherapists and pharmacists who also care for the critically ill). By engaging all members of our community we hope to provide a unified voice for the work we do.
We invite you to join our society and help support Critical Care Medicine in Canada. Click here to become a member.
What We Do
- Exclusive access to Member-Only Professional Resources such as guidelines and protocols.
- Hosts of the 2021 World Federation of Intensive and Critical Care Societies in Vancouver, BC.
- Organizes Annual Canadian Critical Care Review program for the trainees AND practicing intensivists.
- Developing web-based education activities for maintenance of competence in our speciality.
- CCCS Education Committee contributed to the submission of the Critical Care Medicine (adult and paediatric) 2015 to the RCPSC Specialty Committee meeting which is now approved by the COS.
- Several guideline submissions/publications/endorsements (I.e., Calcium Channel Blocker Guidelines, Targeted Temperature Management Guidelines, Withdrawal of Life Support Guidelines and Family Presence during Resuscitation Position Statement).
- A voice at the Royal College Speciality Committee meeting in Ottawa and at the National Physician Employment summit.
- Opportunities to join a CCCS committee to volunteer your time to advance the society goals.
- Supporting the development of a Canadian Sepsis Alliance.
- Participation in the development of a Manpower report to gain a better understanding the current and future state of critical care.
- A voice in advocating for our concerns around provision of best end of life care.
- Private Google Group Access- A private online area where you are first to receive notifications on upcoming conferences, early bird deadlines, newly published guidelines and award opportunities.
- Discounted rates and early bird notifications to attend the CCCF - Canadian Critical Care Forum and the CCCR - Canadian Critical Care Review Program.
- Dual Membership discount with ESICM – European Society of Intensive Care Medicine.
Awards and Fellowships
- Every year CCCS and Critical Care Western at the University of Western Ontario recognize professors that have made a memorable contribution to Critical Care education by presenting the Frank S. Rutledge Critical Care Teaching Award.
- Developing opportunities for fellowship and training programs available throughout Canada.
How to Join
Click here to become a member!